Sep 18, 2019
This week on the podcast, I’m chatting with Mia Fieldes, who I
first discovered through another
podcast. Whenever I become obsessed with someone’s story, I
love to look them up, but Mia is a very private person. We start
off talking about the pressure today to share everything while
we’re in it. As my mentor says, we have to teach from our scars not
our scabs. “You have to be okay with some things being
hidden.” Mia is a Grammy-nominated songwriter who is
from Australia and is living in Nashville with her husband. She has
written songs for Hillsong, including No. 1 radio hits ‘He Knows My
Name,’ ‘Chainbreaker,’ and ‘First.’ On this episode, we talk about
pursuing God’s calling as well as staying connected to hope and
keeping perspective in seasons of singleness.
Pursuing God’s Calling
- “When I was really little, I really did think I was
going to do something amazing.”
- She grew up as a triplet and remembers when her sisters would
go to bed she would write letters to God saying, “One
day I’m going to do something amazing for you. One day I’m going to
write songs all over the world.”
- “Faith is incredibly hard and it’s incredibly
- Her mother was 22, single, and pregnant with triplets. She
struggled with drug abuse, they lived in the projects, and they
received food stamps from the Salvation Army.
- The Salvation Army noticed her mother had three little kids and
so they brought them to Sunday school. There, Mia sang songs about
Jesus and developed the foundation of her faith.
- “My mom was on the same journey as I
Staying Connected to Hope in Singleness
- “How do you believe God for something that is fully
dependent on somebody else’s free will?”
- She spent a lot of time being single and didn’t even kiss a boy
until she was 22.
- When she was beginning her first relationship, she realized
that she was putting so much pressure on it because she had waited
so long to enter her first relationship.
- “I felt a grace to be single.”
- You have to follow peace so that when you are in the storm your
peace is your anchor.
- “Everyone told me marriage would be hard… and I
thought ‘yeah but being single is hard.’”
- It’s all your perspective, but there is beauty in every
- “When you get to a certain age, people put
limitations on you that God never does.”
- She notices that everyone seems to be fighting for a piece of
the pie, but everyone gets their own whole pie. She got her own
promise from God.
- We need to be optimistic. If we spend our energy complaining,
we will get no closer to where we want to be. We will receive that
negative energy back.
- “You create your world with your
- Mia recalls the journey she went on with God guiding her toward
a positive mindset and eventually her husband. “God
plucked my husband seemingly out of nowhere.”
- “If you have to convince someone into something,
then believe me someone will convince them out of
- It’s easy to worry about the things you’ll have to compromise
on, but when the right person comes along, you’ll realize there is
no real compromise to be made.
- “It’s so important to go to God for yourself and
get your own promise. Otherwise you will filter what God is doing
with you through everyone else’s story.”
- “I don’t want the plagiarized version of somebody
- Mia says that her husband, Joren, has been
healing for her.
- “God is writing a way bigger story than you can
Top Three Things To Look For In Your Person
- Look for someone who is committed to change.
- A partner must also be able to handle conflict well.
Mia doesn’t have a website, but she does have an
Instagram! You can give her a follow at @miafieldes. If you
want to hear more details of her story,
listen to this episode of the C3 NYC podcast.
If you are enjoying the podcast, I want to invite you to
leave a rating and review on iTunes! We love hearing what your
favorite episodes are and always welcome any general feedback! It
also helps us be more visible in the iTunes world. If you want to
leave a review but don’t know how, head over to @therefinedcollective
on Instagram and find the “Review 101” under story
Hey, single ladies— are you frustrated by the dating world?
This episode is brought to you by my free guide called “6 Tips to
Activate Your Dating Life with Intention and Clarity.” These
resources helped propel me from sitting on the couch to out on a
date. Head over to Bit.ly/trwdatingtips to check it
out! With you on the journey.