Jul 10, 2019
Hi, friends! I am so grateful that you are back for another
episode and I am so excited to share this one with you! This week
I’m talking to Dr. Therese Mascardo—she is the CEO and founder of
Exploring Therapy, where the mission is to build a life you don’t
need a vacation from. She gives such clear and practical insight.
You will walk away from this episode with more than some great
theories; you will walk away with multiple things you can do TODAY
to support your mental health.
Just like Marie Kondo aims to spark joy by tidying up, you can
live a more joyful life by applying those same rules to your mental
- The first step in anything is committing to the process and
making the change.
- “You have to be motivated and willing to commit to
therapy for it to work for you.”
- You need to be concrete and specific about what you want and
what you’d like your life to look like. It helps to physically
write it down!
- “We think about what we don’t want instead of what
we do want, which isn’t that helpful.”
- Visualizing bad outcomes is a shortcut to having anxiety.
Though anxiety is like the guard dog of our brain, we can shift our
relationship with it.
- “It’s not just God’s way or my way—it is my way
together with God.”
- You need to get rid of the things that are weighing you
- “Possessions are things you own and baggage is what
- Baggage can be people, thoughts, items, SO many things.
- “We need to treat our emotions as valuable
consultants in our lives.”
- To identify your baggage, ask yourself: “How do I feel when I
am around this? Is this serving
- You need to approach your mental health with a plan.
- “A therapist is usually a person who can hear your
struggles, hear where you want to be, and say ‘here are the steps
we are going to take.’”
- We need to be proactive with our problems and take control
instead of being reactive when we feel things falling apart.
- “Allowing yourself to look down the road and plan
ahead is one of the biggest gifts you can give
- “Prioritize the tasks you are taking on for your
mental health and focus on the things that move the dial the
- You can’t focus on solving your mommy/daddy issues if you don’t
have a roof over your head. You need to prioritize what you put
your energy into.
- “Work on your relationship with yourself
- Consult with your feelings and discover what sparks joy.
- “Ask yourself if it sparks joy, not other people,
not Instagram, not your friends.”
- Seeking input from others is valuable, but we have taken it too
I mean how good is all of her insight? You can keep up with her
on Instagram at @exploring.therapy
and her website www.ExploringTherapy.com.
If you know anything about my style, it’s this: simple and
minimal. I love feeling feminine and pulled together but hate when
it takes a lot of time and drama to get ready! For jewelry, I love
minimalistic pieces from Ana Luisa! I love the quality of their
pieces, the reasonable prices, and they are socially conscious—they
use 100% recycled gold. If you want to buy some pieces from Ana
Luisa (AND get $10 off your order), go to www.AnaLuisa.com/therefinedcollective.