Oct 16, 2019
I am so grateful to have Ashley LeMieux on the podcast this
week. She is the founder and CEO of The Shine Project
and she is currently launching her first book called “Born
To Shine.” This week we are chatting about walking through
grief, finding healing, holding onto hope, and how to shine in your
- When Ashley was little, she was very shy so she would write out
all of her feelings.
- “If you asked me while I was young, I would always
tell you that I wanted to be a writer who helped people heal their
- She let doubts and concerns of others let her stray from this
path of writing while she was in college, but she decided to start
a blog called The Shine Project.
- That same blog has now grown into a product line and online
community for women.
- She acknowledges that fear can prevent us from pursuing our
dreams and even just finding out what our dreams are in the first
- “In our heart of hearts, if we just sit still
enough, I think we all kind of already know what that thing is… we
just bury it with layers to distract us so we don’t have to do
- We too often let our minds jump to all the things that can go
Holding Onto Hope
- One day, she and her husband were called and asked to parent a
four and six-year old.
- “At that moment, it felt like everything in our
lives had led us to that point and to be able to say
- Several years into their being a family of four, they were
still finalizing the adoption process and there was an unexpected
- While she was away, they found out that their children would be
taken from them the next morning. She wasn’t able to see them and
so she wrote letters from her hotel.
- “Every day felt like I was carrying the weight of
- In those moments, she saw that this painful experience was a
trial of their faith. She knew that they would come out the other
- “I didn’t know the depths of that pain
- “My healing process will be for the rest of my
- She spent time with various therapists to help with the healing
process and she felt the fog of grief begin to lift the tiniest bit
after one year.
- Her big turning moment was a moment in which she looked in the
mirror for the first time in a while and she was lifeless.
“It was like everything had been vacuumed out of
- In that moment, she realized she didn’t want to feel the same
way looking in the mirror when she gets to be 80 years old.
- “How can I live a fulfilled happy joyful life while
still feeling pain? Because they have to co-exist. They have
- From there, she discovered the difference between suffering and
pain. She could drop her suffering and hold on to joy.
How To Shine In Your Darkest Moments
- We don’t have to be afraid of the dark. “The light
within us is brighter than any of the darkness that surround
- How can what’s burying me start serving me? When she was buried
in pain, loss, and heartbreak, she decided to rise above it.
- Give yourself permission. To dream, to find joy, to be
excellent, to shine! “We don’t give ourselves
permission to shine and we dim our own light. There’s already so
much out there that’s trying to work against us and the last thing
we need is to work against ourselves.”
- Show up to the biggest fights of your life with love. It’s easy
to get in fight mode or be in the “me against the world” mentality.
Anger depletes us, but love can’t be taken away. “Once
we start giving it, there’s just so much more to receive of
- Ignite the light in others. Focusing outside of yourself and
serving others brings purpose to our pain. Our pain allows us to
understand people differently.
If You Are Walking Through Grief Right Now
- “Your story is not yet over. No matter how dark it
gets around you. No matter how dim and bleak and painful everything
feels, you were born to shine.”
- “Sometimes, the best view we have of the stars is
when we’re knocked flat out on our backs in the darkest
You can find Ashley at @ashleyklemieux and
go to theshineproject.com/tour to
order her book! There, you can also see her book tour and see what
city she’ll be in near you.
If you are enjoying the podcast, I want to invite you to
leave a rating and review on iTunes! We love hearing what your
favorite episodes are and always welcome any general feedback! It
also helps us be more visible in the iTunes world. If you want to
leave a review but don’t know how, head over to @therefinedcollective
on Instagram and find the “Review 101” under story
Hey, single ladies— are you frustrated by the dating world?
This episode is brought to you by my free guide called “6 Tips to
Activate Your Dating Life with Intention and Clarity.” These
resources helped propel me from sitting on the couch to out on a
date. Head over to
Bit.ly/trwdating to check it out! With you on
Fab Fit Fun is a seasonal subscription box that has
FULL-SIZED beauty, fitness, fashion, and lifestyle products and I
am so obsessed, y’all. The contents always have a worth of about
$200 the boxes only cost $49.99! A few of my favorites from this
box: a travel yoga mat, Vitamin C serum, and a gold eye mask. Even
better? You get to customize what goes into your box! If you’ve
ever thought about trying it—now is the time! If you go to
and use code TRW, you’ll get $10 off your first box!