Apr 16, 2019
You guys—I slid into Cavanaugh James’s DMs and now he’s on the
podcast—the power of Instagram!! You probably know him from his
incredible Instagram videos. In one video he made up a song about
the real reason he goes to parties and I have never felt so seen.
(I may or may not have gotten him to sing it on the podcast!!). He
also recently released his book, “Higher Power Has A Name.” We got
to chat about faith, loving others well, and confronting hard truth
in a “my truth” culture with grace, humility, and a little
Finding His Platform
- He discusses where those IG videos began. “I
started doing them just out of boredom and irritation for bad
- He talks about how it took him a while to feel comfortable in
his skin. Now, he’s not afraid to laugh at his own jokes.
- He moved to LA in 2015 to join the Groundlings improv program.
He noticed that scenes would quickly turn dirty or perverse. He
wanted to be funny without falling into that.
- “I had a bone to pick with
- He wanted his comedy to be uplifting rather than divisive.
- Cavanaugh talks about living his life fully with others who
don’t share his faith.
- His faith is born out of relationships and friendships. He
reflects on being lonely until he went to college and started
meeting new people.
- “I don’t change in whatever environment I’m
- “I’m not about trying to change people’s minds—I’m
trying to love.”
- He doesn’t tone down his beliefs and he doesn’t expect others
- “We’re called to actually walk in hand with other
- “We’re supposed to be loving people and letting the
Lord do the rest.”
- He talks about loving others without an agenda.
- “A big chunk of why there is such a divide between
mainstream culture and the church is the agenda of the
- He challenges others to think about the golden rule—how would
we feel if we were in a certain situation.
- “How would I receive it? What is the way I could
hear this that I would know that I am loved?”
- We discuss enneagrams, of course, and talk about the price we
pay for wanting to be right all the time.
- “There is no reason- not one- for someone to walk
through this life feeling alone.”
Keep up with Cavanaugh on Instagram at @cavanaughjames
and his website CavanaughJames.com. (P.S. You
should buy his
Thank you so much for listening to the podcast and being part of
this community! If you enjoy listening, I want to invite you to
subscribe to us on iTunes and rate and review us. Search “The
Refined Collective” on the purple podcast app on your phone. Share
your review on IG stories + tag us so we can show you some
Hey, single ladies— are you frustrated by the dating world?
This episode is brought to you by my free guide called “6 Tips to
Activate Your Dating Life with Intention and Clarity.” These
resources helped propel me from sitting on the couch to out on a
date. Head over to
Bit.ly/trwdating to check it out! With you on the