Jul 31, 2019
Before we dive in to this recap, I just want to first say that
this will not be a podcast episode of me judging everyone on The
Bachelorette. Unless we have been on reality television before, we
don’t know how we would handle these situations so we should always
be looking at them with grace. I am not here to make anyone wrong
or right. These are just my thoughts and responses to the tons of
questions you guys sent in about The Bachelorette. You guys had a
lot of questions about Hannah’s conversations with Luke P.
specifically surrounding sex and her faith.
The Fantasy Suite Conversation
- Is it fair to talk about your thoughts on sex with the person
you’re dating? Absolutely! You should always make this clear early
- The problem with holding onto initial attraction
- First decide what you believe + what is a non-negotiable to
you—it’s much harder to do that in the moment.
- For example my non-negotiables: man of God, loves Jesus,
abstaining from pre-marital sex.
- If you’re thinking of proposing to someone in less than a week
+ they’ve slept with multiple people at that same time—that would
be a deal breaker for me. That’s not judgmental or slut
shaming—it’s just connecting to what you want + what is a
non-negotiable for you.
- Assume nothing! Just because they share your worldview and/or
faith doesn’t mean they view things exactly how you do. (Luke made
assumptions about her.)
- Communicate early + often
- A lot of drama can be avoided when we commit to communicating
where we’re at + why with humility + grace.
- Create a healthy pace for physical intimacy (this one is HARD
- Physical intimacy too soon creates a false sense of
intimacy—they had this initial spark + their physical chemistry was
so intense. It blurs your vision to discern outside of the
- Both of them could’ve handled that conversation WAY
- Luke often displayed arrogance + needed to have the last word +
- If the tables were turned + there was a guy on the bachelor
bragging + showcasing who he slept with + how many times—he
would’ve been viewed as a pig—but now she’s an empowered woman—it’s
inconsistent + is taking the low road. Always take the high
road—whether you’re right or wrong.
- Sex Is Not A Pre-Qualifier For A Relationship With
- What I do/not do with my body doesn’t keep us in or out of
heaven with Jesus.
- It is by grace ALONE you have been saved through faith.
- The Bible Teaches Pre-Marital Sex Is A Sin
- As a Christ follower, I’m committing to submit myself to His
teachings + ways.
- He’s not afraid of sex, sexuality, desire, pleasure—He created
it that way.
- I am limited in my knowledge — is it possible that God knows
more than me? Yes!
- Saying no to something good + beautiful in the moment for a
greater goal takes courage + humility + vision + support.
- Sexual Sin Vs Other Sins
- Talking about sin is triggering right? We don’t like
talking about when we blow it. It’s not fun. Often times we already
feel like crap about it + calling it a sin feels condescending—I
get that. But what if we reframe what sin is: sins are the
choices I make that separate me from God.
- I make choices that create distance between me + God every
- Sexual sin is no worse than being prideful. We’re all on equal
playing field here.
- Since There’s Grace Should We Just Do Whatever We
- By no means—I think this differentiates religion from a
relationship with God.
- Religion is rule based: If I do this, God does this.
- A relationship is different—#1 metaphor God uses to describe
his relationship with humanity is that of a husband + wife.
- It’s so easy to take advantage of the unconditional love from
our loved ones when we know they’re not going anywhere. It’s a
constant process to show our love and kindness to others.
On top of all of this, I talk on this episode about my thoughts
on believers dating non-believers, if I think the dating on The
Bachelorette honors God, and who I think the next bachelor will be!
PLUS would I ever go on the show? And how would I handle the
fantasy suite?! Be sure to head over to our Instagram @therefinedcollective
to share your thoughts about this episode on our post!
Hey, single ladies— are you frustrated by the dating world?
This episode is brought to you by my free guide called “6 Tips to
Activate Your Dating Life with Intention and Clarity.” These
resources helped propel me from sitting on the couch to out on a
date. Head over to
Bit.ly/trwdating to check it out! With you on